Posted on February 18, 2013
Junior Female Life Saver of the Year - Northern Beaches
Pittwater House School student, Courtney Halford (Year 9), was recently named "Female Junior Life Saver of the Year" for the Sydney Northern Beaches Surf Life Saving Club Branch.
Courtney will now go on to represent the Branch in the NSW Junior Lifesaver of the Year competition in April this year.
Courtney has been involved in the Surf Life Saving movement at Long Reef SLSC since joining as a 5 year-old in the U6 nippers program. She obtained her SRC in the 2011/12 season and has since managed to accumulate 83 career patrol hours. She is currently an age manager for one of the U6 girl's teams, helps out with fundraising activities and water safety at Club events and is involved in the cadet program. This year she assisted with training practice for the latest group of cadets undertaking their SRC. Courtney really loves Surf Life Saving and the opportunities it presents for young people like herself.
The announcement of the Male and Female Junior Lifesaver of the Year will be made on Friday 26th April, with the two winners (and parents) invited to attend the SLSNSW Awards of Excellence official presentation.
The criteria for selection will be based on the nominee's achievements in the following areas:
- Contribution to Surf Life Saving
- Demonstration of leadership roles in club activities
- Contribution made to the club
- Awards received in Surf Life Saving and the community
- Involvement in community events outside of Surf Life Saving
- Awareness of club events and current affairs
- Initiative applied to club and community activities
- Promotion of Surf Life Saving to the community
- Attendance record at club activities
- Encouragement of new members
- Demonstration of surf lifesaving knowledge and skills